To learn music is to learn a whole new langugage. Anon
At Magna Carta Primary Academy, we use Charanga to deliver our Music curriculum. More information can be found here: Charanga - Primary music curriculum, Secondary & Instrumental music.
We aim to inspire our pupils through the curriculum to:
- Develop a passion for music, in which pupils learn to appreciate music and develop a life-long love of music.
- Develop their skills, knowledge and understanding, to enable them to be become confident performers, composers and listeners.
- Are introduced to a variety of genres of music from around the world and across generations, recognising the multicultural nature of our school and how we use music as a medium to explore and appreciate British and other cultures.
- Develop their musical skills through singing, playing tuned and untuned instruments, composing music and responding to music that they listen to.
- Develop transferrable skills which are key in their development as learners and have a wider application in their lives both inside and outside of school e.g.: team-working, leadership, creative thinking, decision-making and performance skills.
Children learn to play a selection of percussion instruments through the year groups and focus on learning to read music and play the recorder in Year 4.Our fantastic volunteer, Mrs Tivendale, helps us deliver specialist music teaching.
We are very fortunate to also offer keyboard, drumming and guitar lessons during the school day at a small cost to parents. This service is offered by a private music team.
Our children are avid singers and enjoy performing in musicals and plays throughout the year.
Please see our Music Curriculum below for more information.